This article looks at different types of health aids for seniors. That is a general topic, so we have broken it out into categories: mobility, bathroom, hearing and vision, and kitchen aids.
As we age, mobility can become one of the most challenging aspects of our everyday life. But you do not need to allow lack of mobility to slow you down or hinder your day. There are many mobility aids that will help you retain your independence and your dignity.
Canes are the first port of call when you begin to feel unsteady on your feet. They give support and a sense of security which allows you to continue living your life as you always have. Canes can also be used as weapons!
Canes do not need to make you look old. There are many walking canes that are fashionable and chic. We have covered them in other articles, so I do not want to rehash the same listings here. Consider these articles instead:
If a cane does not give enough support, a walker can be used. Walkers have progressed in leaps and bounds and both practical and pleasing to the eye. Walkers can be folded away easily making traveling simple. There are many stylish bags and baskets that can be fitted to the walker to enable you to move around with all your necessities such as glasses, reading book, mobile phone and purse.
Much like canes above, we have covered walkers in numerous other articles. If you want to go more in depth, consider these:
For those who like to get out and about and enjoy speed a scooter is the answer. These are easy to use and give you the independence to do your own shopping or join in a family walk.
- 🚀【INCREASED SPEED & BATTERY】 Unlike normal mobility scooter uses 270W motor. We use 300W motor and the maximum speed is 5Mph(8km/h), which is FASTER than a normal 3 wheel scooter of 4.2Mph(6.7km/h). The climbing angle can be up to 10°. With 12 Ah battery capacity and the standard driving range is at least 15 MILES/PER CHARGE.
- 🦼【ENHANCED DRIVING COMFORT】 The seat is crafted from high-density sponge and the cushion dimension is 4"H x 16"L x 18"W. Double spring decompression minimizes the shock and eases the jolts effectively, which is more comfortable to sit for a long-range drive. 360 swiveling seat and foldable backrest make it easier for you to get in and out of the car.
This Mobility Scooter by ADDJY comes with headlights, two cup holders and a usb charge point. It has a maximum speed of 5M/H and a driving range of 15 Miles per charge. The seat can swivel 360’ which makes getting on and off the scooter easy and comfortable.
If you want something more all terrain, consider an off-road mobility scooter.
As we grow older and less steady on our feet the bathroom becomes a hazardous place. The space is small, surfaces are wet and there are many hard obstacles to bump into on the way down. Up to 80% of falls in the home occur in the bathroom.
It is thus important to install safety features and aids in the bathroom to help prevent falls. Most falls occur while one is moving in or out of the bath or shower or using the toilet. Make sure the toilet is the right height. It is helpful to install grab bars in the shower, above the bath and near the toilet.
Grab bars come in a variety of sizes and can be angled to the needs in the specific bathroom. You can get permanent grab bars which can be installed by a professional or you can get suction grab bars that can be easily removed and reattached as necessary.
Suction grab bars need to be checked daily to ensure they are secure. They work well if you are traveling as you can easily attach them to the bathroom you are using in the guesthouse or family home. You are best suited to avoid them for regular in-home use, however.
- 304 Stainless Steel Shower Handle- the material of the shower bar is 304 stainless steel, so there is no doubt about its firmness and safety. Shower handles can support up to 500lbs. 304 stainless steel handrail is durable and corrosion resistance. Please feel free to use our premium bathroom grab bars to make each bathroom safer for your family.
- Multipurpose Sturdy Design - the shower handles can not only be used as bathtubs and showers to protect your safety, but also put your towels, clothes, etc. Grab bars for bathroom- grab bars can provide good support for families in bathtubs, showers, bathrooms and other indoor locations to minimize the risk of slipping and falling. Grab bars for bathtubs and showers.
These permanent 2 Pack Shower Grab Bars can be used in the shower, bath or at the toilet. They range in size from 12 to 48 inches allowing you to choose the best size for your space.
If you do not want something so permanent or you are looking for something you can use when traveling, then try these Suction Grab Bars by Vive. it will only work on a smooth, flat, non-porous surface and should be checked regularly to ensure the suctions are working correctly. This particular brand offers extra security in that a red light will show if the suction is compromised.
Ensure that shelves on which toiletries are stored are at eye level as it is the action of stretching up to reach something that often puts one off balance and leads to a fall.
Raised Toilet Seat
Install a raised toilet seat. The added 3 to 4 inches in height make it easier to lower oneself onto the seat and to lift oneself up again.
- TOILET SEAT ELEVATOR -- ELONGATED. A toilet seat riser that that installs under your existing toilet seat for added personal comfort. Fits Most elongated Toilet bowls.
- ADDS 3.5 INCHES TO THE TOILET SEAT HEIGHT. A 3.5 raised toilet seat that is also very comfortable. The toilet seat helps senior and handicap sit or get up from toilet easily
For an inconspicuous raised toilet seat try the Carex Elongated Raised Toilet Seat. It adds a height of 3.5 inches to the seat making getting on and off the toilet easier. It is comfortable to use and easy to install.
- THE ULTIMATE RAISED PADDED SEAT- Warm, soft, padded seat makes toileting comfortable. Most raised toilet seat for seniors are made of hard plastic which is cold to the touch-making toileting uncomfortable. The ULTIMATE raised toilet seat allows for extended sitting without discomfort. EXCLUSIVE Hi-View Blue color makes seat easier to distinguish from its surroundings AND RESISTS STAINING AND DISCOULORING BETTER than old style white seats.
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT- Allows for perfect toilet seat height settings and maximum safety and comfort. Fast, easy, tool-less height settings also means that as health conditions change, the toilet seat height can be adjusted to accommodate the changing needs. Never buy another raised toilet seat again. Ideal for post-op hip and knee patients. Adjust the height on this raised toilet seat with arms as range of motion improves.
Should you need a little more support try the Ultimate Raised Toilet Seat. This seat is padded for comfort and is fitted with padded arm rests which can be used to push off when standing up. It fits all toilets and requires no installation. The height is easily adjustable to suit specific needs.
A shower chair is useful in the shower as it allows one to sit while showering and thus reduces the chance of slipping and falling. Ensure that the chair has a non-slip seat and that the feet of the chair are rubberized and won’t slip in the shower.
- Bathroom Bench: Designed to fit just about any style of bathtub, our tub bench for bathroom is exceptionally easy to assemble without tools
- Quality Construction: The ultimate shower accessory for daily living, our tub chair for elderly, disabled, and injured individuals is made of durable aluminum and features a comfortable 19.25-inch seat
The Drive Medical Bathroom Bench provides a secure seat in the shower. The legs are fitted with suction feet to ensure it does not slip in the shower. The leg heights are adjustable to suit your needs.
A transfer, or bath, bench extends over the side of the bath. It has two legs and creates a platform on which you can sit safely and swing your legs over and out of the bath. This removes the need to stand precariously on one leg as you lift the other up and out of the bath. We have an article on the best shower transfer benches.
Install non-slip mats in the shower and bath. Bathmats outside the shower and next to the bath and toilet should also be non-slip.
- Patented Design with Powerful Suction Grip : a bathmat designed to securely stay in place; the patented mat features hundreds of suction cups that effectively help secure the mat to your tub or shower floor
- Easy Water Drainage: hundreds of drainage holes allow for water to easily flow under the mat and towards the drain, helping to prevent water from sitting stagnant under the mat in your tub
The Gorilla Grip Bath and Shower Mats are ideal for using in the bath or shower. The patented grip ensures that the mat will not move at all and that it will not become slippery. It has drainage holes ensuring water does not pool on the mat. It comes in an array of colors making it fit stylishly into your bathroom.
- MACHINE WASH AND DRY: Different from other products, our Bath Rug adopts unique fiber locking technology to avoid the troubles of fiber-dropping. Unique backing texture design and expensive TP rubber, which is much stronger and durable for long lasting use. After repeated machine washing tests, it looks like the new one.
- ULTRA THICK AND PLUSH: Our bathroom mat features thousands of individual polyester micro fiber shags that soothes tired feet and shields toes from the cold floor. The density and plushness of our pile surpasses that of most other brands.
The Dexi Non – Slip Bathmat is soft and absorbent and will not slip on the tiles. It is a safe and comfortable option.
Hearing and Vision Aids
Our hearing and vision seem to be one of the first things to start to deteriorate with age. One day we are looking at birds in the far-off trees, reading medical labels with ease and enjoying conversations in crowded restaurants.
The next thing we know we can no longer make out more than a fuzzy blur in the tree, we can’t read the medical label without holding it so far away that we can’t read it anyway and when we’re in a crowded restaurant all we get from the conversation is a throbbing headache.
Both hearing and vision issues can be remedied with aids, namely hearing aids and spectacles. Consider looking into hearing resources if cost is a concern.
Over the Counter Hearing Aids
OTC hearing aids are expected to be released in the very near future. They are not designed for children or for adults with sever hearing loss. They are designed for mild to moderate hearing loss. They will increase the volume of sounds around you. The wearer will also be able to adjust them to suit their specific needs.
These hearing aids will be a tremendous asset to people who are just beginning to feel the effects of slight hearing loss. Should you find that OTC hearing aids are not helping it is advisable to get your hearing checked by a professional.
Over The Counter Vision Aids
OTC spectacles have been around for decades and are the first port of call when we realise our sight is not quite what it was. These spectacles merely magnify what we are looking at and thus make reading of fine print easier. If you find OTC glasses are no longer helping it would be advisable to get your eyes tested by a professional.
A kitchen is a potentially dangerous place for anyone but once we become less mobile, lose strength and develop debilitating diseases such as arthritis it can become a downright nightmare. There are many ways that you can make the kitchen a safer place.
Boil Over Safeguard Lid
- Premium Grade & BPA Free Silicone - This Silicone Lid Stopper is made of finest BPA-free silicone that it is eating healthy and toxic-free environment-friendly material.And it is soft, durable, reusable & flexible that will definitely last for a long time even for how many uses
- Give You a Safe Kitchen - Do you have problem when boiled liquid spills over the stove and have to spend a lot of time cleaning the stove.For your problems, this is the best solution works for most kind of pots and pans. No worry about cooking pasta, rice or soups.This lid will prevent boil over from your cooking with pots and pans, no messy kitchen anymore
This clever silicone lid prevents pots from boiling over. This will prevent you having to make a dash to the stove to rescue an over boiling pot. This Boil Over Safeguard Lid comes in an array of colors and can fit pots and pans with a diameter of 6 to 10.5 inches.
Drive Medical Kitchen Stool
- Drive Medical 12455 All Purpose Stool with Adjustable Arms
This kitchen stool has an adjustable height and is ideal for allowing you to sit while working at the kitchen counter. The angled seat makes it easy to sit down and stand up again.
Automatic Jar Opener
- 【It works on all size of lids】Easy to open lids from 1.2inch-3.5inch,The electric jar opener is made of sturdy Internal stainless steel material to ensure it is durable
- 【Not for plastic jars】Note that it doesn't work on plastic lids, so won't open a mayonnaise jar for instance
There is nothing more frustrating than being unable to open a jar. You can see the delicious contents but cannot get to it. There are a variety of automatic and electronic jar openers on the market. These allow seniors to open jars with ease.
Cut Resistant Gloves
- 4x stronger than leather: Our cut resistant, highly durable gloves give you EN388 level 5 cut resistance. In other words, they’re made of the highest level of cut resistant material you can get on the market. These gloves are ANSI 105-2016 certified.
- 100% food safe: Use your cut resistant gloves when you’re shucking oysters, cutting up your meat for dinner, dicing vegetables, using the potato slicer or the mandolin. Protect your hands, feel like a masterchef and give your hands some extra protection.
These Cut Resistant Gloves offer independence and security in the kitchen. Unsteady hands can continue to chop and cut in the kitchen without fear of injury.
An induction stove is a safe choice for seniors. The cook top only gets hot where a pot is touching it. If the cook top is switched on and the pot is removed, it will lose heat and thus will not be a fire hazard. The only disadvantage of an induction stove is that it works with magnets and thus may interfere with insulin pumps and pacemakers.
Pot and Pan Holder
This device holds a pot or pan in place while on the stove. It allows the cook to stir the contents of the pot without having to keep the pot steady. Thus stirring can be done with one hand.
- All Day Support: perfect for anyone who stands for long periods of time at home or work; great rug for in front of kitchen counters, laundry rooms, standing desks, workspaces, etc; ideal for professional use in locations such as hair salons, restaurants and anywhere all day comfort is essential
- Superior Cushioning: extra thick, three quarter inch high mat is extremely comfortable and engineered to help keep you supported and energized; your feet will thank us later
Non-slip mats are important in a kitchen where the floor can become slippery or wet. A mat like the Anti-Fatigue Floor Mat by Kangaroo is a mat that helps to relieve the pain and exhaustion often connected with standing for long periods of time. They are non-sip and edges will not curl up creating a tripping hazard.
The mat is ADA compliant which means walkers and canes can move over them safely. Just make sure it’s not a tripping hazard for the person with dementia or limited mobility.
Advancements in technology have brought about a plethora of electronic aids for seniors. The Life Alert commercial featuring the fallen senior who says, “Help! I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!” brought the attention of these types of services to millions of viewers. With the push of a button, help was on its way. There are now even smartwatches with medical alert capabilities.
Some caregivers now include baby monitors as part of their approach to keeping loved ones safe. There are also location tracking devices for people who have Alzheimer’s Disease. If they wander away, they can be more easily found and returned to safety.
Caseworkers and doctors offices can help people identify the electronic aids that might benefit them most, but just know that in many cases, these aids are not covered by insurance. Talk to your doctor or care provider to learn more.
Health Aids for Seniors Help
Aging isn’t easy. The effects are certain to hit us if we live long enough. We can’t stop aging, but we can do our best to manage the symptoms of it. This includes finding the right health aids for seniors. I hope this list has helped.