For anyone with mobility problems, power lift chairs can make the difference between feeling helplessly trapped in a chair and getting up with grace and ease. These chairs can make a tremendous difference in the life of a person with limited mobility, whether due to age or post-surgery.
What is a Power Lift Chair?
A power lift chair resembles a normal reclining chair with added features that allow seniors or anyone with limited mobility to rise easily and with dignity.
What differentiates the power lift chair from the average reclining chair is that it allows the sitter to slant the seat and back of the chair forward. It works with push buttons instead of needing to be engaged manually. This allows the sitter to stand without any discernable struggle.
What Features Does a Power Lift Chair Have?
For total convenience, power lift chairs can be purchased in different sizes and styles and come with additional features. A variety of styles are available to reflect and complement the décor of your home. They come in sizes convenient for petite, average, and tall users. When ordering, a power lift chair, consider whether there will be a pet snuggling in the chair with you. For some seniors, a pet can be the greatest source of comfort. This may require a slightly larger seat.
You can purchase your power lift chair with different coverings, such as leather, cloth, or vinyl. Consider that for an incontinent senior, vinyl is an excellent choice. Vinyl is also the optimal choice for anyone who eats and drinks in the chair because it can be cleaned without much effort.
Some power lift chairs even come with heat and massage options. For seniors, these are not necessarily luxuries. Such options can make the difference between comfort and pain, especially for anyone suffering from arthritis, sore muscles, or stiff joints. Post-surgery, the features of a power lift chair can come close to being life-saving.
Who Should Be Using a Power Lift Chair?
Difficulty with mobility can creep up on any individual gradually. You begin to notice that movements that came naturally only recently, now, suddenly, take effort. Then, after a while, they become even more difficult and painful. When you find yourself struggling to move from a comfortable sitting position to standing on your feet, it may be time to consider the comforts of a power lift chair.
Lift chairs are ideal solutions for anybody who has difficulty transitioning from a seated position to standing due to limited mobility or balance issues. However, the benefits extend far beyond assisting with sitting down and standing up.
Features to Look for in Your Power Lift Chair
- You need the best size for your height and weight. Power lift chair seats come in sizes that range from 18 inches to 22 inches wide.
- The back of the chair can range from 22 inches to 29 inches. A petite user will want a smaller back.
- The distance from the front of the seat to the floor can be crucial. This distance can vary from 18 inches to 21. Your choice will depend on the length of your legs. If you are a petite person, you might find yourself struggling to get up if the distance is 21 inches, even though this is a power lift chair.
- Consider why you are using the power lift chair. If you are semi-mobile and simply need a little boost up, a two-position chair will meet your needs. You can use it to watch television, read, and then rise with ease. Someone with greater limited mobility might be spending more time in that chair, including taking naps and sleeping. A three-position chair could prove to be a better option.
- If you favor one hand over the other due to weakness or a stroke, ensure that the power lift chair controls can be placed on your “strong,” or preferred, side.
- You want your power lift chair to be a part of the furnishing, so pick a color and fabric that helps it blend in with the rest of the room.
- Most power lift chairs offer different types of warranties. Check what yours covers and does not cover.
How to Use a Power Life Chair
Your power lift chair will get you from a seated position to standing with tremendous ease. However, it has other uses, as well. The chair can recline far back, so many seniors find it a comfortable place to sleep, as the angles of your lift chair can be modified to accommodate most positions.
Many individuals even opt to sleep in their lift chairs instead of their beds because of the many different positions made available with the lift chair. Many models can be reclined to a flat position but can also be changed to a variety of different angles for maximum comfort. For example, if your legs need elevation, it is easy to make the necessary adjustments in your power lift chair. That is the beauty of a power lift chair. You pick your own most comfortable position, and you are set.
Power lift chairs are available in three different reclining positions that can be adjusted with a handheld remote control. Some chairs also have an “infinite” position. That means they can be reclined until they are absolutely flat. Here, the back and the footrest work independently of each other.
This position is sometimes recommended by people who are under doctor’s orders to remain in a prone position or if the feet need to be elevated higher than the head. Some models have an actual mattress for added comfort. This may sound convenient for sleeping, but it might not be the best idea as there is an increased chance of the person falling off and sustaining serious injuries.
5 Best Power Lift Chairs
Based on the criteria above, and an examination of the market, we found the following power lift chairs to be suitable for most people. If cost is an issue, consider looking into whether Medicare will cover one or not. Depending on your situation and physical limits, it’s possible it could be covered as durable medical equipment.
Mcombo Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair Sofa
- Power Lift Assistance: Counter-balanced lift mechanism with TUV certified actuator pushes the entire chair up to assist the user stand up easily without adding stress to back or knees, smoothly adjust to lift or reclining position you prefer by pressing two buttons on the remote control.
- Comfortable and Durable Cloth Material: With overstuffed padding and simple lines sketched out the backrest, back with unexpected sense of the parcel, built-in springs in both of back and seat, overstuffed pillowtop arms, more comfortable. The treated cloth surface was characterized by silky hand, good elasticity, certain effect of anti-felting and anti-pilling.
- USB Charging Ports & Cup Holders: The chair has dual USB outlets that keep your devices charging and dual side pockets for small items within reach, two cup holders on both sides of armrests best meets your needs. (Notes: The USB ports ONLY for low-power devices, such as iPhone, iPad.)
The Mcombo Electric Power Lift Recliner Chair Sofa for Elderly has three separate positions, pockets, and cup holders on both sides, with a seat and back made from fabric that comes in various colors. The lift mechanism lifts the entire seat to enable the sitter to rise without stress to the legs or back.
The arms of the chair are padded for additional comfort, and the pockets on the sides keep necessities within reach. There are dual USB outlets to keep iPhones and iPads charged.
- Excellent appearance.
- Sturdy construction.
- Some assembly may be required, but tools are not needed.
- The lift chair will be sent in two separate boxes and might not arrive on the same day, which may be inconvenient to some buyers.
Esright Power Lift Chair Electric Recliner
- 【Power Lift Chair with Silent Motor】Esright lift chair is powered by UL certified actuator that can push the entire chair up to help the senior stand up easily without adding any stress to knees and back, and you could adjust the lift or reclining position(reclines up to 145°) you prefer with 2 buttons on the chair.
- 【Vibration Massage & Lumbar Heating】The recliner chair comes with 8 vibration massage points and lumbar heating, which is controlled by the convenient remote control.
- 【Durable Upholstery & Easy to clean】It features high-quality material for easy cleaning(just wipe with cloth) and providing you superior comfort, also certain effect of anti-felting and anti-pilling.
The Esright Power Lift Chair Electric Recliner comes with convenient side pockets and cup holder. It is made with environmentally-friendly material, and the lift motor is silent. The chair reclines 150 degrees, with the back and footrest extending simultaneously.
This power lift chair can massage the head, shin, lumbar, and thigh. There are USB ports to charge your devices while reclining. The Esright Power Lift Chair makes it easy to nap or sleep.
The back and cushion are comfortably overstuffed, leaving you feeling wrapped in comfort.
- The side pockets are spacious enough to hold most of your necessities.
- The chair is very comfortable.
- This is recommended for anyone on the heavy side.
- The chair may have a cup holder or side pockets, but not both features in the same chair. Check before buying.
Yodolla Electric Power Lift Chair
- 💺【Silent Lift Motor & Power Lift Assistance】 - YODOLLA power recliner chair is equipped with silent motor and the counter-balanced lift mechanism with TUV certified motor pushes the entire chair up to assist the senior stand up easily without adding stress to back or knees, you only need to press the button or remote to recline, it reclines up to 150 degrees.
- 💺【Let the elderly lead a better life】 - Our professional design team analyzed the figures of most Americans, and we designed a wide power lift chair that is most suitable for most American seniors.The backrest length of 25.6 inches is suitable for most people of 5.2-6 ft. The depth of seat 20.5 inches can provide perfect support for your entire hips and legs.(Kindly note: Footrest & backrest are extended or retracted simultaneously.)
- 💺【Heated Vibration Massage Chair】 - YODOLLA massage and heated lift recliner is designed with massage and heat function on the remote control. There are 8 vibration massage nodes for back, lumbar, thighs and legs, with 2 vibration intensities and 5 massage modes. You can also experience the heating function on the lumbar. The highly elastic fillers and springs of the soft fabric electric recliner give you a soft and comfortable sitting experience.
The Yodolla Electric Power Lift Chair reclines to 150 degrees. It is made from quality wood that is environmentally friendly and maintains a sturdy frame to accommodate up to 300 lbs. of weight.
The heat control and massage functions are easily activated. There are up to eight separate massage functions, including vibrations, for various parts of the body. The leather seat provides comfort when being seated for any length of time.
The chair has side pockets and cup holders on both sides. It also allows the sitter to charge devices while sitting or reclining.
The recliner is easily cleaned with a damp cloth. It comes with a one-year warranty and 24/7 customer service assistance.
- The Yodolla Power Lift Chair has amazing features such as massage and three-position capability. Still, it is available for under $400.00, making it less expensive than some power lift chairs with fewer features.
- Does not fully recline into a sleep position
Irene House Power Lift Chair
- This recliner is powered by German Brand Okin motor,It serves two purposes,First,it offers a power lift function ideal for elderly individuals who have difficulty standing from a sitting position, It also works as reclining sofa chair that gently reclines the chair with a simple push of a button.
- Supports up to 300 lbs,push the entire chair up to help seniors to stand up easily, it’s ideal for people who have leg/back problems or people who after surgery.
- Extending footrest and reclining feature allows you to fully stretch and relax ，ideal for watching television,sleeping and reading.
The Irene House Power Lift Chair can accommodate a weight of up to 300 lb. Its linen and suede fabric are comfortable and attractive. It also comes in leather.
The chair has convenient side pockets for TV remotes and phone. It reclines fully to allow the user to sleep and totally relax.
- This chair is very comfortable for sitting all day as it has thick padding.
- The seat can be lowered or raised to any comfort level.
- The company provides superior customer service.
- The chair might be more comfortable for a shorter person, 5’6” or under.
Good & Gracious Power Lift Chair
- Power Lift Recliner Chair: Classic style and functionality merge together with single motor and heavy duty mechanism,which pushes the entire chair up to assist the senior stand up easily without adding stress to back or knees,smoothly adjust to lift or reclining position you prefer by easily pressing two buttons.
- Recliner Lift Chair: Filled with high-density sponge, features Overstuffed pillow designed on back, seat and armrest for support and comfort with a high back, offering you more comfort than expected. This recliner lift chair upholstered in soft and comfy microfiber fabric with good elasticity, certain effect of anti-felting and anti-pilling and very easy to clean.
- Easy Adjustable And Pocket Design: Smoothly adjust to any customized position letting you stop the lift at any positions you prefer, Reclines up to 145 degrees. This lift recliner chair with side pocket design create a very convenient place for you to put remotes and other small belongings.
The Good & Gracious Power Lift Chair has 3 separate positions, so it the ideal chair for napping and sleeping. This will be appreciated since the pillows are overstuffed and designed for comfort.
There are two handy pockets on each side to keep small items nearby. The new slate gray color fits in easily with most decors.
The mechanism lifts the entire chair, not just the seat, to allow the sitter to stand easily and without discomfort to the knees.
- The recliner is easily adjustable
- The seating is comfortable.
- The side pockets are handy to keep necessities nearby.
- This recliner does not have any new features except its design.
How to Maintain Your Power Lift Chair
Seniors with limited mobility rely on their power lift chair to help them get up and down easily. Keeping the chair in good repair is very important to ensure that it remains functional when you need it.
This is a motorized device, so be sure to read the owner’s manual before putting it to use. Make sure you understand the instructions and follow them to keep the chair in optimal condition. Keep in mind, if the chair is not functioning, you will not be able to use it.
When cleaning your power lift chair, be sure to unplug it from its outlet; and remove any batteries. The motor and controls should be cleaned and wiped with a moist cloth to prevent dust buildup. You can access the motor by putting the lift chair in the upright position.
Seniors may spill a drink and get liquid on the chair. Make sure no liquid makes contact with the motor or any other electrical component of the chair, as this may lead to injury to the sitter or damage to the mechanism. Consider spill proof cups if this is a concern.
When using the power lift chair, plug it directly into an outlet instead of using an extension cord. Check the wiring periodically to make sure these are not frayed.
You want your battery backup to be at hand and working, so be sure to replace it at least once a year.
Keep the fabric on the chair clean by using a product specifically intended for this type of surface. Leather seats are easier to clean; you simply need to wipe them down
Unplug the chair during cleaning. Do not allow any liquids to come in contact with electrical components. Mobility can become a problem for many seniors. But a power lift chair can be indispensable when it comes to reclining comfortably, and more importantly, to moving up and down with ease and without risk of injury. The good news is that many insurance companies will cover the cost of a power lift chair.