Bed wetting or incontinence is an embarrassing problem, but a more common problem than most people realize. According to the Urology Care Foundation 50% of women (older than 65), experience bladder leakage. It can be caused by aging, lifestyle choices, or a range of health conditions.
Here we will look at some of the best adult diapers for women that are on the market and readily available online.
Aging can cause a loss of muscle control and strength. If the muscle loss is severe enough, it can have a negative impact on the function and structure of the lower urinary tract and pelvic floor.
Kimberly-Clark added the Depend line of adult diapers to their product offerings in 1984. This product was initially designed as a unisex product, but in 2009 Depend introduce a male and female line, addressing the specific needs of each sex.
What to Look for in Adult Diapers
The difference between male and female diapers is often in the absorbency strip. The strip in male diapers is higher up in the front, while the strip for female diapers is in the center closer to where the urethra is situated.
When shopping for a diaper, it is important to consider:
- Tabs vs. Pull Ups. Tabbed diapers are typically used in a caregiving situation. They are easier to remove by the caregiver. Pull ups are used by a person who is still mobile and able to put the diapers on and take them off.
- Size and Fit. Size and fit is crucial in avoiding leakage. A tabbed diaper can be easily adjusted by just pulling the tab tighter (though you will need to choose the right size). Pull ups need to be fitted correctly and come in various sizes: small, medium, large and extra large
- Absorption Level. Some adult diapers are more absorbent than others.
- Light: minimal leakage.
- Medium: significant leakage during the day.
- Heavy: heavy leakage or fecal incontinence.
- Maximum or Overnight: most effective at night.
- Material. Diapers are made from two types of material: cloth or plastic. Plastic diapers, while less comfortable, offer more protection.
- Odor Elimination. Most modern day diapers utilize an odor control technology that neutralizes the pH of urine.
- Day and Night Use. It is important to consider, when the diaper will be most useful. Can the person go to the bathroom alone or is the diaper needed at night, when there is less control?
- Skin Integrity. Repeated expose to urine and fecal matter can be very damaging to sensitive skin. Incontinence products need to effectively trap and draw moisture away from skin. The diaper needs to have a soft, breathable lining.
Diapers that Are Better for Bowel
Bowel incontinence is the inability to “hold” a bowel movement. It can be caused by constipation, diarrhea, and muscle or nerve damage. For some people, bowel incontinence is a relatively minor problem, limited to the occasional soiling of their underwear. For others, the condition can be devastating due to a complete lack of bowel control.
Fecal incontinence is an embarrassing problem, which can cause you to deal with problems with your dignity. Living with fecal incontinence doesn’t need to be a thing that is embarrassing.
It is important to understand what your problem is, and this will make it easier for you to be able to treat it effectively. Speak to your doctor about fecal incontinence, you need to be able to understand what fecal incontinence is to find the right products or treatment options.
Some diapers are better for bowel incontinence than others. These will be constructed differently than standard adult pull ups. Consider a broader diaper with tabs, or even perforations along the side, for bowel incontinence. This allows the wearer to remove the soiled diaper without a mess.
These bowel incontinence diapers should be form fitting. Look for tighter fittings around the legs. They should be stronger so they will not sag when full.
Are There Overnight Diapers for Adults?
According to the Urology Care Foundation, a quarter to a third of men and women in the U.S. suffer from urinary incontinence. That means millions of Americans.
The most absorbent adult diapers are suitable for overnight use. This is particularly helpful if other bed wetting solutions are not an option.
There are several factors which may cause bedwetting and these include: a blocked urethra (tube that carries urine from the bladder), constipation, diabetes, pelvic organ prolapse, problems with the structure of your bladder or other urinary organs, enlarged prostate, urinary tract stones or infection
Once an individual understand the cause for overnight incontinence, then they can look for solutions. These can range from bed wetting sheets and pads, to overnight diapers, or even, medication.
Overnight diapers are similar to bowel incontinence diapers. These diapers have a better fit at the leg openings and are broader at the back. They have a larger absorbency strip, and can handle a larger volume of liquid.
5 Best Adult Diapers for Women
The adult diapers featured below have strong reviews and offer a decent quality-to-price ratio. Some of them are advertised as unisex, but are at least designed in such a way that the female body is taken into account.
1) Attends Protective Underwear with DermaDry Technology
These are unisex and are great for people with moderate or high incontinence. They come with a belly band elastic which is breathable and provides great comfort. The pull-up option makes them easy to wear. The sides can be torn and the diaper can be removed easily. Derma dry technology helps with maximum absorbency and the odor shield controls the smell.
- Breathable, stretchable, cloth-like material looks and feels like regular underwear
- Acquisition strip and super absorbent beads quickly lock in fluids and help prevent odor
The fabric is made out of a breathable material, which makes them very comfortable and provides premium softness. The diaper comes with a dual leakage prevention material which makes skin feel dry. It provides 30% more absorption capacity.
2) Depend FIT-Flex
Depend is a well-known brand and it provides customers with reliable products. These adult diapers are specially designed for women with incontinence.
- NEW LOOK: Depend Fresh Protection Incontinence Underwear for Women, large (38–44" waist), 72 count; same trusted protection, improved; HSA/FSA-eligible in the U.S.—packaging may vary.
- Maximum Absorbency: All day protection against heavier bladder leaks—Depend for Women features a super absorbent core which absorbs 25x its weight and turns liquid into gel.
You get 48 pairs in a pack which is great according to its price. It comes in 5 sizes option which makes it able to fit every lady. They provide maximum absorbency so you don’t have to worry about leakage issues. The material used in the making of these diapers is very soft which makes them very comfortable. These diapers also make use of odor elimination technology.
3) Prevail Proven
The best thing about Prevail Incontinence diapers is its discreet fit. This technology makes this diaper very comfortable, best for moderate incontinence leakage. They are 5 times drier than other daily incontinence underwear. These are great for skin wellness because they contain aloe, chamomile, and vitamin E.
- WOMENS BRIEFS: These disposable pull-up briefs were designed specifically for women for use during the day or overnight, with Comfort Shape Plus elastics that flex for a smooth, discreet feminine fit.
- MAXIMUM ABSORBENCY: MaxSorb Gel core provides maximum absorbency for moderate to heavy leaks & Omni-Odor Guard neutralizes odors instantly. Dri-Fit cotton enhanced provides a soft, comfortable fit.360° Breathable Zones
They feature Omni-odor guard technology, which prevents the odor before it even starts, and makes it wearable for a little long. Prevail is a well-known brand. It provides its customer with the most reliable and comfortable incontinence products.
4) FitRight Ultra Adult Diapers
- FitRight Ultra Adult Diapers promote a better fit as well as comfort and dignity, while soft anti-leak guards reduce leakage and improve containment
- These incontinence diapers for adults feature a 4D-Core with odor protection that wicks fluid away to promote dryness and help maintain skin integrity
FitRight Diapers are soft, comfy cloth-like diapers that look and feel more like regular underwear. The four-dimensional core of the Medline FitRight Diapers Heavy Absorbency helps to keep the wearer drier for longer. The odor protection technology in the diaper helps to keep liquid away from the skin by shifting it to the lower layers.
5) TENA Women’s Super Plus Protective Underwear
These diapers looks and feel like your regular underwear. It is a discreet, comfortable and secure pull-on type protection for moderate to heavy bladder weakness offering good support, it also moves securely with you, so your protection stays in place and is less visible under clothes. In addition to providing advanced leakage protection, it contains advanced odor protection technology to fight odors.
- Designed with soft materials: to look and feel like real underwear and provide discreet incontinence protection
- Designed for moderate to heavy bladder leaks
Realizing it’s time to transition to wearing adult diapers may not be as tough as you think. People are often embarrassed to purchase incontinence products in person at their local stores. Fortunately, there are plenty of online retailers that sell incontinence supplies and other elder care products and offer discreet shipping.
Once you find a product that works well, joining a subscription service can be helpful, since regular shipments will ensure you never run out of necessary supplies.
Have you had challenges with adult diapers for women? Do you have other recommendations? Let us know in the comments.