Staying Home: A Caregiver’s Guide to Making Your Home Alzheimer’s Safe by ElderGuru founder and author Derrick Grant is now available on Amazon.
This easy-to-read book is written for families and caregivers who provide in-home care for people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. There are many things to consider when caring for someone diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and home safety is one of them. Staying Home offers easy, low-cost suggestions for improving home safety and the comfort of individuals with Alzheimer’s and their caregivers. Following these suggestions may help the person stay independent longer or continue to live with their spouse or other loved one, enhancing their quality of life. This book providers practical tips that include making simple but effective modifications to a home and its surroundings. In Staying Home, readers will find:
- Information on the importance of the caregiver’s role and how to best prepare for the journey.
- General safety guidelines that apply to an entire house that can help avert injury, confusion, and fear.
- Recommendations for areas that should be kept off-limits (such as workshops and rooms with toxic cleaners).
- Simple room-by-room modifications and considerations that can reduce caregiver stress and a loved one’s confusion and anxiety.
- An overview on securing a home’s exterior so that a loved one can safely enjoy the outdoors.
- Detailed checklists to assist caregivers in a step-by-step fashion. This book will better help caregivers understand their loved one’s condition while ensuring home safety. Once certain changes are made, a home can more safely accommodate a person with Alzheimer’s disease. Managing Alzheimer’s is not easy for anyone—for the individual, the caregiver, and even for professionals. Having a safe and happy home environment will help.
Note: Wholesale bulk pricing is available for agencies looking to distribute the title to caregivers.