Skin changes every day. It gets older and can take less damage from the environment and bad lifestyle choices. It starts showing signs of aging as soon as we are past our adolescent age. In every decade of life, our skin looks, feels, and reacts to stimuli differently. For this reason, knowing which skin care products and the routines to use in every life period is essential for good and vital skin.
Skin starts aging the moment we are born. Exposure to light, UV radiation, and different pollutants commonly found in food, water, and the air we breathe all add stress to the skin and make it less radiant and appealing. In addition to this, lifestyle choices, such as smoking, little physical activity, and a bad diet add even more stress to the skin and free radicals it’s supposed to get rid of. All these stressors cause cumulative damage to the skin.
As the damage accumulates, our body slowly loses its ability to repair this damage. Once past a certain threshold, the skin starts looking dull and tired and loses the vibrancy that we once enjoyed. It becomes lax, droopy, and saggy, to the point that the contours of the face can change.
Skin droopiness is indicative of the changes that happen under the skin surface. As the skin is exposed to the elements, the light, and radiation coming from different sources (most notably the sun) damage collagen and elastin molecules found in the skin. These molecules give firmness and elasticity to the skin and keep it attached to the underlying tissues.
Once the molecules are damaged, the skin starts repairing them. What cannot be repaired is sent to the liver to use in new protein synthesis, and instead of those molecules, the body now makes new and keeps the skin looking young and fresh. With age, this incredible ability of our bodies to repair themselves and the skin diminishes by a few percent every year.
This is the reason why wrinkles seem to suddenly appear out of nowhere. Droopy eyelids and hanging lower two-thirds of the face just appear and are the number one reason why so many people visit plastic surgery clinics year after year. Additional stressor to the skin is massive weight gain and loss, something that stretches the skin to the point that even at a very young age, surgery is necessary to correct it.
In most cases, however, there is still plenty you can do yourself without going under the knife. As with any other organ, skin can repair itself, and, more often than not, it just needs a small nudge in the right direction. Choosing what is the best for your skin gives back by increasing your health and stamina and slowing down your aging.
Skin Care by Age
Although aging cannot be stopped, we can delay it and, in doing so, enjoy the youthful look and feel of our skin. However, medical and cosmetic products are not a magical solution, so a more holistic approach to skin rejuvenation and skin care is needed. A good starting point is your lifestyle. Indeed, most dermatologists agree that the following habits can significantly improve the looks and the vitality of your skin:
- Avoid smoking and excess alcohol at all costs – cigarettes do the same amount of damage to the skin as the sun does,
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night,
- Drink plenty of water – around 8-10 glasses of water are perfect,
- Eat a well-balanced diet. Although more often preached than practiced, a single salad in a day can significantly improve your metabolism and skin health,
- Stay indoors between 10 AM and 2 PM, and remember that sun damage to the skin is cumulative,
- Always use sun protection – this means every day, even during wintertime,
- Use a good moisturizer – do not go overboard with the pricing, but rather look for medically tested cosmetics.
Skin Care in Your 20s
Once these good habits are in place, you can go on with other care. When your skin is young and vibrant, it just needs prevention and a touch of help in the form of topical agents. Mild exfoliation and staying in the shade are more than enough to keep the skin healthy.
The daytime skin care routine for young skin is as simple as it gets. Apply good but light moisturizer every single morning. Follow it with sunblock with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 50.
- ORIGINAL SPF 50 SUNSCREEN LOTION . This is the stuff we use every day. It’s the formula that started it all. People say it smells like summer. We like that. Whether we’re spending a lazy day at the beach or just hangin’ out, our Original formula is definitely our fav.
- MOISTURIZING SUN PROTECTION. Dermatologist and Sonny approved, this non-comedogenic sunscreen delivers UVA/UVB protection and is packed with Vitamin E. Our oil-free, water-resistant and reef friendly SPF 50 Lotion is great for all skin types.
Although most dermatologists say that there is not much of a difference between, let’s say, SPF 50 and 100, going for a higher SPF factor can compensate for any areas that are difficult to cover in SPF in the first place.
Your nighttime skin care routine should include detailed removal of makeup. Using a good cleanser and visceral water is a must if you are a lady. For the men out there, cleaning your face in the evening will remove all the dirt and debris and keep your pores unclogged.
- 2-pack of oil-free and non-comedogenic Clean & Clear Day & Night Face Wash to gently cleanse without over-drying skin both in the morning and at night
- Clean & Clear Morning Burst Facial Cleanser removes skin impurities that build up overnight and features an invigorating citrus fragrance to help wake you up and jumpstart your day
If you do not feel like overinvesting in skin care, good but cheap Vaseline-based products are known to lock in the moisture and make your face look plump in the morning.
Skin Care in Your 30s
A whole decade later, your 30s are usually the time when you start seeing the first signs of aging on your skin. You will develop wrinkles and some inset lines around your eyes and mouth – they develop as we smile and squint our eyes. Skin care in your 30s is a single step more complex than in your 20s:
Keep using SPF and moisturizer as before. Consider going strong with exfoliation, as this is the age when your cellular turnover starts declining.
- GENTLE NON-ABRASIVE LEAVE-ON EXFOLIATOR: with 2% BHA (Beta hydroxy acid) to unclog & diminish enlarged pores, exfoliate dead skin cells, smooth wrinkles & brighten & even out skin tone. Combats redness, wrinkles, aging, enlarged pores, & blackheads. PACKAGING MAY VARY.
- Dramatically improves skin's texture for radiant youthful even-toned skin. Beta hydroxy acid (BHA also known as salicylic acid) mimics the natural exfoliation process of younger skin by helping it shed extra layers while unclogging and clearing pores.
Avoid mechanical peel – chemical peels with fruity acids rock and are not abrasive to the skin. Use Botox twice a year or as indicated by your dermatologist.
Besides your moisturizer, adding Vitamin C serums are super beneficial. They help the skin fight free radicals and keep it looking fresh for the whole day.
- SKIN BRIGHTENING SERUM: Our most popular facial serum uses vitamin C to even skin tone, neutralize free radicals and boost collagen, thus improving radiance and reducing dark spots, fine lines and wrinkles
- PLANT-BASED, SKIN-FRIENDLY FORMULATIONS: Our anti aging serum is a purposefully balanced blend for skin nutrition, harnessing support from botanical hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, aloe vera, jojoba oil and MSM to help brighten, calm and protect skin
Never use Vitamin C in your daytime routine. Consider including niacinamide and retinol to further boost cellular turnover and collagen formation in the skin.
Skin Care in Your 40s
Around this age, you can usually see the first signs of sun damage. Fine lines become deeper, and issues with hyperpigmentation can appear as well. A good skin care routine at this age follows what has been outlined before but adds more steps and products that you can use. Consider using a Dermapen and laser treatments to get a head start on deep wrinkles.
Daytime skin care includes moisturizer, SPF (or a combination of both – saves time and money), as well as chemical peels.
- 2-STEP RESURFACING MASK – Remove dead skin cells to reveal a brighter, smoother you with this exfoliating regimen
- SCRUB & SERUM DUO: Let the bright, citrus scent invigorate your senses, while you experience the warm, foamy transformation when the peel is added to the to the treatment to polish away your skin’s impurities
You should also introduce medical-grade chemical peels twice a year – in the spring and in the autumn. This will help keep the texture of the skin even, will fade most liver spots, and will keep the complexion even and light.
Introducing Vitamin E-based products can help skin feel and look young. It will also help erase some of the damage that the sun has caused already. This is the best age to consider supplements as a form of skin care routine.
- Provides 180 mg (400 IU) of Vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that helps neutralize free radicals in the body and supports a healthy immune system
- This antioxidant supplement is the dl-Alpha form of Vitamin E, which supports the body's natural immune defenses
A daily pill of vitamins C and E will keep the skin looking fresh. A single pill of beta-carotene will also boost your skin’s natural ability to prevent sun damage.
Skin Care in Your 50s
Keeping up the healthy lifestyle choices and skin care routine from previous chapters is a must at this age. Introduce plenty of physical activity into your daily routine and enjoy the benefits that a rush of blood to your skin brings. Reconsider the food you eat and go for low-inflammatory foods, and start yearly checkups for skin cancer and any skin damage that should be addressed by both surgical and nonsurgical procedures.
Adding resveratrol-based products to your skin care routine has added benefits. Resveratrol, which you can purchase in the form of a supplement) fights free radicals and protects the skin from the inside out.
- 100% PURE & NATURAL Ingredients. Perfectly crafted with the exact amounts of ingredients for optimal nutritional value, and Maximum benefits
- 1450MG of the potent Resveratrol Blend made with: Trans-Resveratrol, Green Tea Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Vitamin C, Acai Extract, Pomegranate Extract, Blueberry Extract, and More
With a strong antioxidant effect, it can also boost your skin’s natural defense mechanisms. At this age, you may also want to consider an early or a baby facelift.
Nighttime care includes moisturizers with more hydrating agents. Hyaluronic acid, prescription-strength retinoids, and anti-rosacea serums should be applied to your face, neck, and chest.
- ADVANCED FORMULA: Experience smooth, bright, lifted, and rejuvenated skin without dryness. This maximum strength retinol cream combats wrinkles, fine lines, uneven skin tone, rough texture, and loss of firmness.
- HIGH POTENCY RESULTS: Infused with a carefully balanced blend of ingredients, our wrinkle cream for the face features aloe, hyaluronic acid, vitamin E, green tea, shea butter, and jojoba oil to reveal your complexion’s radiant and natural beauty.
Continue yearly skin cancer check-ups and add chronic rosacea checkups.
Skin Care in Your 60s
Skin care in your 60s becomes an absolute must. Introducing facial yoga and mewing can help tone the skin and prevent bone loss and saggy jowls. It can also improve the contours of your face and keep those cheekbones high. Consider eyelid ptosis surgery, correcting earlobe shape, and neck lift with double chin liposuction. Know the right skin care strategies for seniors. Stay physically active and follow your dermatologist’s advice.
Strong SPF and moisturizer are your best friends even at this age. Expand the area you cover from face to neck and the chest. Consider Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments to remove liver spots on your forearms, chest, neck, and face.
- FAUSTINA IPL is a new UK brand and a very powerful IPL device, with 19.89 Joules of energy output per flash and three treatment options make it ideal for permanent hair removal and skin rejuvenation. This makes the FAUSTINA IPL an indispensable addition to the cosmetic equipment in your home or your salon.
- The FAUSTINA 3IN1 will focus on Skin Rejuvenation and Hair Removal. With FAUSTINA 3IN1, you can: rejuvenate your skin, improve your skin’s elasticity, get rid wrinkles, treat your facial rough skin, slow the signs of aging, remove dim spots from your face, reduces pore size, get rid of redness & facial broken capillaries.
Some seniors also consider getting a facelift with a certified specialist surgeon around this age. While not for everyone, the procedures have come a long way.
Nighttime treatment stays the same as in your 50s. Consider abstaining from alcohol other than red wine and eat non-inflammatory foods. Increase supplement intake and maintain good sleeping habits. The same applies to any age over the age of 60.
Skin Care Products Summary
A good skin care routine and essential anti-aging skin care products is a necessary element of daily habits if you want to keep your skin young and fresh. Irrelevant of your age, you should start a good skin care routine if you do not have one already. This way, you can slow down aging and postpone any surgical procedures which may become necessary over time.