On cold winter days it is lovely to find a sunny spot to read, knit, watch television, and – cuddle up with electric lap blankets. or chat to a friend.
Why Electric Lap Blankets?
As one gets older, and becomes less active, it becomes more difficult to keep warm on cold winter days and evenings. You may have made all kinds of changes to keep your home warm, but that may not be enough – it certainly isn’t in my home state – Maine! Winters can be downright brutal.
Investing in a small dog or cat to sit on your lap and keep you warm is one way to fight the cold. But not everybody wants a pet. With an electric lap blanket you can have the warmth of a pet without the hassle.
Electric lap blankets are also perfect for keeping you warm while working at your desk. There is no need to heat the entire room. Just plug in your electric lap blanket, throw it over your knees and feel the warmth seep through your body while you work.
Rooms can become stuffy if heaters and central heating are used to warm the house. With the use of an electric lap blanket, the air can remain fresh enabling you to concentrate while keeping warm.
A huge benefit of electric lap blankets is that they use much less electricity than heating an entire room. You can have the warmth and comfort without the high energy bills.
Are These Just Electric Blankets?
The main difference between electric lap blankets and a “normal” electric bed blankets is the size. Lap blankets are smaller, usually measuring 50 inches by 60 inches. This is a comfortable size to cover your lap without it dragging on the floor. Smaller electric lap blankets, usually used for travelling, are also available. Electric blankets come in sizes to fit single, double, queen, and king-sized beds.
Another major difference is the color. As electric blankets are used under the sheet on a bed, they usually come in neutral white or cream. Electric lap blankets come in an array of patterns and colors as they are designed to be left over the back of your couch or desk chair. When choosing an electric lap blanket you will want to find a color that coordinates with your décor.
Why Electric Blankets Might be Bad for You
There are two main reasons some people believe electric blankets might be bad for you: electrical and magnetic fields and fire hazards.
Electric blankets, like many electrical appliances, give off very low electrical and magnetic fields (EMFs). Even when an electric blanket is turned off, it will still emit EMFs and must be unplugged to stop EMF emission. EMFs have been hypothesized to cause cancer.
Many studies have been carried out to determine if this is the case. In a study published in 2000 in PubMed, it was concluded that “exposure to EMFs from in-home electrical appliance use was not found to increase breast cancer risk.”
A study done on electric blanket use and breast cancer in the nurses’ health and printed in the American Journal of Epidemiology claims ‘results did not support an association between breast cancer risk and exposure to EMFs from electric blankets.’
Although more research is needed, it looks as though there is no cause-and-effect relationship between EMF exposure from electric blankets and the risk of cancer.
Safety is also a consideration when purchasing or using an electric lap blanket. It is advisable to buy a better-quality electric lap blanket as cheaper ones tend to be made of lower quality materials and manufactured under less stringent safety guidelines. The price difference is a small price to pay for safety.
Old electric blankets can become a safety hazard. When taking your electric lap blanket out of the cupboard, where it has been lying useless all summer, make sure to check for any damage. Often wires can become bent where the blanket was folded.
Ensure that all bent wires are straightened and are not damaged as this may lead to fires. Newer models of electric blankets are fitted with an automatic shutoff to prevent overheating and potential fires.
The main cause of injury when using an electric lap blanket is when it is not used according to the instructions given. Using an electric lap blanket until one overheats can cause damage to internal organs, vessels and body cells. It is thus very important that the instructions be followed very carefully.
Will an Electric Blanket Increase Your Electricity Bill?
Definitely not. In fact, using an electric lap blanket wisely may decrease your electricity bill. Heating an entire room or running a heater near your chair all day can shoot your electricity bill right up. Electric blankets do not use a lot of electricity and they can replace a heater or fire.
The exact amount of electricity that an electric blanket uses depends on its wattage. The higher the wattage the more electricity it will use. A higher temperature setting will use more electricity than a lower one. Your central heating can be turned down, or even off, during the day if you have an electric lap warmer to keep you cozy. You will soon notice a decrease in your electricity bill.
7 Recommended Electric Lap Blankets
Following are what we see as some of the best lap blankets (throws) found on Amazon. There are certainly going to be retail options near you in a physical store, but these are less common than traditional-sized electric blankets. Still, even those might work for the person who wants extra warmth!
1 – Sunbeam Heated Throw Blanket
- This premium soft, Sunbeam Reversible Sherpa/Mink Heated Throw Blanket gently wraps you in warmth with ThermoFine technology to auto-adjust for consistent heat control. The EliteStyle II Controller includes 3 heat settings so you can choose the right warmth for you and features a 3-hour Auto Off function allowing for peace of mind
- Made of 100% Polyester, this premium soft Sherpa/Mink Heated Throw Blanket is machine-washable and dryer-safe without shrinkage; Plushness: 26 millimeter
- Exclusive wiring system and adjusts throughout the throw for the highest peace of mind. Throw measures 50 inches by 60 inches
Sunbeam is a household name. This blanket is stylish and cozy with one side silky and the other Sherpa. It is equipped with 3 different heat settings and is machine washable and dryer safe.
2 – Beautyrest Zuri Electric Blanket
- FEATURES - This oversized 50*70 ultra soft faux fur heated throw comes in a variety of patterns. It's also easy care. When it's time to wash, simply unplug it and toss it into the washing machine
- VIRTUALLY NO EMF - Our electric blanket is engineered for lowest electromagnetic field radiation possible. The heating element is designed with an evenly spaced pattern, which enables even warmth distribution. 100% UL certified for maximum safety
- THERAPEUTIC RELIEF - 3 Heat levels help you find the perfect temperature for you.
Beautyrest is also a well-known brand. This large lap blanket comes in 7 different colors and designs and looks and feels like regular faux-fur to maximize coziness. It has 3 heat settings and a 2 hour auto off feature for safety. It is UL certified and engineered for lowest electromagnetic field radiation possible. Despite all its coziness is it machine washable.
3 – Sable Electric Throw
This full sized flannel throw is affordable and cozy. It is machine washable and has an auto off feature allowing you to run it for up to 3 hours before turning off. It is only available in red but it comes with a detachable remote letting you choose from 10 different heat settings.
It has overheat protection technology and is ETL certified. Wires are evenly distributed throughout the blanket and it is fitted with a fast-heating design for instant warmth.
4 – Car Cozy Heated Travel Blanket
- Plugs into any 12-volt power outlet
- Safety timer with auto shut-off
- Large enough for 2 people, offering both comfort and warmth
This fleece throw blanket is ideal for cold morning car trips as it plugs into the 12V outlet of the car. Each passenger can adjust their own comfort with their own electric lap blanket. The days of fighting over the temperature in the car are over.
5 – Woolrich Ridley Throw Blanket
- NEW TECHNOLOGY -- Our heated throw utilizes state of the art Secure Comfort heated technology that adjusts the temperature of your throw based on overall temperature, spot temperatures and the ambient temperature of your room, ensuring a consistent flow of warmth. This unique technology also emits virtually no electromagnetic field emissions, so you can snuggle up with confidence
- THERAPEUTIC RELIEF - 3 Heat levels to find your comfort zone of your plush electric wrap throw. Pre-heating feature allows our electric wraps to be snuggly warm before crawling into the covers. Our unique design helps you relief and sooth the pains on your shoulders
- ELECTRIC BILL SAVINGS - Along with the plush softness, these heated throw help save money. Compared to electric throw blanket or portable heated blanket, the 2 hours auto-shutoff function can save you electric bill if you accidentally forget to turn if off and gurantee more safty. Compatible with smart home outlet and automatic timer.
This reversible cozy lap blanket is fitted with 3 settings and a 2 hour auto shut off timer. It is machine washable and dryer safe. You can enjoy the plaid faux fur or the berber fleece side, let your mood be your guide. The Secure Comfort Technology emits virtually no electromagnetic field.
6 – Homde Heated Electric Throw Blanket
- SAFETY ASSURANCE: Homde safe heated throw is certificated by ETL. Shuts off automatically after 4 hours of continuous use, no worry of forgotten shutoff. Overheat protection promotes safer use experience. Also, we offer a two-year guarantee to put your mind at ease. NOTE : The suitable voltage is 120V AC only / 60Hz
- EASY TO USE: Controller is easy to see and use, and features 3 warming settings (rang: 90-110℉), you can choose the right warmth for yourself. 10 feet power cable makes the electric heated blanket free of restriction by a short cable to work flexibly in a wider range; Can also be used as a normal blanket by simply detaching the controller
- FULL BODY COMFORT: Size: 50’’ x 60’’. Made of ultra-soft flannel, Homde heated throw blanket is comfy and cozy, and can gently wraps you in warmth and comfort during cold nights. High quality heated wire is used, heating quickly and evenly. Great gift for Men and Women; Moms and Dads; Valentine’s, Mother’s and Father’s Day; Christmas and New Year
This cozy electric lap blanket is ETL certified and has a 4 hour shutoff timer as well as overheat protection. The ultra-soft flannel is machine washable and dryer safe. Three heat settings enable you to customize your comfort.
7 – Flannel and Sherpa Electric Throw
- 【Fast Heating for Warm】The heated throw blanket (50*60 inches) cuddles you warmly while heating rapidly with 4 heating levels and provide maximum comfort to combat cold weather
- 【Luxuriously Soft】The side with silky flannel and the other side with sherpa shu velveteen bring optimal sense of comfort, both sides working efficiently to preserve heat for further warmth
- 【Timer Adjustment】1 to 3 hours of timing setting to meet individual needs. When the set timer is run out, the product will stop heating automatically to ensure energy saving and safety for you
Choose between snug flannel or luxurious Sherpa when you snuggle under this electric lap blanket. It has 4 heat settings and a shut off timer that can be set between 1 and 3 hours. It is fitted with an overheat protection system and is ETL certified to ensure your safety.
Whether you are snuggling in for a winter’s night of Netflix binging or slaving over your computer, studying or just sitting quietly in a chair, an electric lap blankets can be the answer for comfort. This safe, energy efficient alternative will ensure you never need be cold again.