South Carolina senior services are readily available – if you know where to look. For most elders and caregivers, the primary place to access resources and get referrals is your local Area Agency on Aging or the Aging and Disability Resource Centers. We have listed those below in addition to other places to access help.
We try to keep these state resource pages as up-to-date as possible. If you find a broken link, please contact us to let us know. This helps us help others. Thank you!
Area Agencies on Aging (AAA): What is an Area Agency on Aging?
AAA services in South Carolina are offered through Regional Councils of Government:
- Region I – Appalachian Area Agency – serving Anderson, Cherokee, Greenville, Oconee, Pickens and Spartanburg Counties
- Region II – Upper Savannah Area Agency – serving Abbeville, Edgefield, Greenwood, Laurens, McCormick and Saluda Counties
- Region III – Catawba Area Agency – serving Chester, Lancaster, York and Union Counties
- Region IV – Central Midlands Area Agency – serving Fairfield, Lexington, Newberry and Richland Counties
- Region V – Lower Savannah Area – serving Aiken, Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Calhoun and Orangeburg Counties
- Region VI – Santee-Lynches Area Agency – serving Clarendon, Darlington, Dillon, Florence, Marion and Marlboro Counties
- Region VII – Vantage Point – serving Chesterfield, Darlington, Dillon, Florence, Marion and Marlboro Counties
- Region VIII – Waccamaw Area Agency – serving Georgetown, Horry and Williamsburg Counties
- Region IX – Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Government – serving Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester Counties
- Region X – Lowcountry Area Agency – serving Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton and Jasper Counties
- Attorney General’s Office
- Department of Aging
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program – established to enhance the quality of life, improve care, protect rights, and promote the dignity of residents in a long-term care facility.
- Healthy Connections (Medicaid)
State Agencies and Non-Profits:
- AARP of South Carolina
- Alzheimer’s Association, South Carolina Chapter
- Center on Aging – Medical University of South Carolina
- Senior Games of South Carolina – a quality recreation experience for adults ages 50 years and older
- South Carolina Legal Services – provides free legal services in a wide variety of civil legal matters to low-income residents of South Carolina