Nebraska senior services are readily available – if you know where to look. For most elders and caregivers, the primary place to access resources and get referrals is your local Area Agency on Aging or the Aging and Disability Resource Centers. We have listed those below in addition to other places to access help.
Area Agencies on Aging (AAA): What is an Area Agency on Aging?
- Aging Office of Western Nebraska – serving Banner, Box Butte, Cheyenne, Dawes, Deuel, Garden, Kimball, Morrill, Scotts Buff, Sheridan and Sioux Counties
- Blue Rivers AAA – serving Gage, Jefferson, Johnson, Nemaha, Otoe, Pawnee, Richardson and Thayer Counties
- Eastern Nebraska Office on Aging – serving Cass, Dodge, Douglas, Sarpy and Washington Counties
- Lincoln AAA – serving Butler, Fillmore, Lancaster, Polk, Saline, Saunders, Seward and York Counties
- Midland AAA – serving Adams, Clay, Hall, Hamilton, Howard, Merrick, Nuckolls and Webster Counties
- Northeast Nebraska AAA – serving Antelope, Boone, Boyd, Brown, Burt, Cedar, Cherry, Colfax, Cuming, Dakota, Dixon, Holt, Keya Paha, Knox, Madison, Nance, Pierce, Platte, Rock, Stanton, Thurston and Wayne Counties
- South Central Nebraska AAA – serving Blaine, Buffalo, Custer, Franklin, Furnas, Garfield, Greeley, Harlan, Kearney, Loup, Phelps, Sherman, Valley and Wheeler Counties
- West Central Nebraska AAA – serving Arthur, Chase, Dawson, Dundy, Frontier, Gosper, Grant, Hayes, Hitchcock, Hooker, Keith, Lincoln, Logan, McPherson, Perkins, Red Willow and Thomas Counties – phone (800) 662-2961
- Adult Protective Services – investigates reports of adult abuse/neglect and financial exploitation
- Attorney General’s Office
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Division of Medicaid and Long-Term Care
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program – established in each state by the Older Americans Act to enhance the quality of life, improve care, protect rights, and promote the dignity of residents in a long-term care facility.
- State Unit on Aging
State Agencies and Non-Profits:
- AARP of Nebraska
- Alzheimer’s Association Nebraska Chapter
- Answers4Families – Nebraska’s support and information connection for families and professionals seeking assistance (great site)
- Department of Internal Medicine: Section of Geriatrics – University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Legal Aid of Nebraska – free civil legal representation, resource referral, community development and education to low-income Nebraskans