Iowa senior services are readily available – if you know where to look. For most elders and caregivers, the primary place to access resources and get referrals is your local Area Agency on Aging or the Aging and Disability Resource Centers. We have listed those below in addition to other places to access help.
Area Agencies on Aging: What is an Area Agency on Aging?
- Area 1 – Elderbridge Agency on Aging – serving Kossuth, Winnebago, Worth, Mitchell, Hancock, Cerro Gordo, Floyd, Pocahontas, Humboldt, Wright, Franklin, Sac, Calhoun, Webster, Hamilton, Crawford, Carroll, Greene, Audubon, and Guthrie Counties. Offices in Mason City, Fort Dodge, Carroll, Lyon, Osceola, Dickinson, Emmet, Sioux, O’Brien, Clay, Palo Alto, and Buena Vista
- Area 2 – Northeast Iowa Area Agency on Aging – serving Allamakee, Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Chickasaw, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Grundy, Hardin, Howard, Jackson, Marshall, Poweshiek, Tama, and Winneshiek Counties
- Area 3 – Aging Resources of Central Iowa – serving Boone, Story, Dallas, Polk, Jasper, Madison, Warren and Marion Counties
- Area 4 – Heritage Area Agency on Aging – serving Benton, Cedar, Iowa, Johnson, Jones, Linn and Washington Counties
- Area 5 – Milestones Area Agency on Aging – serving Clinton, Scott, Muscatine Mahaska, Keokuk, Lucas, Monroe, Wapello, Jefferson, Wayne, Appanoose, Davis, Van Buren, Louisa, Henry, Des Moines, and Lee Counties
- Area 6 – Connections Area Agency on Aging – serving Plymouth, Cherokee, Woodbury, Ida, Monona, Harrison, Shelby, Pottawattamie, Cass, Mills, Montgomery, Fremont, Page, Adair, Adams, Union, Clarke, Taylor, Ringgold, and Decatur Counties
- Attorney General’s Office
- Department on Aging
- Department of Human Services
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program – established in each state by the Older Americans Act to enhance the quality of life, improve care, protect rights, and promote the dignity of residents in a long-term care facility.
State Agencies and Non-Profits:
- AARP of Iowa
- Alzheimer’s Association:
- Center on Aging – University of Iowa
- Iowa Legal Aid – serving low-income Iowans