This is a complete list of where to find Arkansas senior services, aging information, area agencies on aging, and related links.
Arkansas has a population of over three million people. Though the median age of the state is 37.9,17% of Arkansas’s citizens are over the age of 65 and 2% are over the age of 85.
The state has 41 geriatric healthcare providers for every 100,000 residents who are over 65 and there are 101 home healthcare providers for every 1,000 Arkansans who are disabled. 94.3% of elderly Arkansans do have a dedicated healthcare provider. However, with 10.5% of the state’s senior citizens living in poverty, 5.1% of the senior population avoids seeking medical care because of concerns about the cost of healthcare.
Nearly 650,000 Arkansas residents are enrolled in Medicare, with three-quarters of them eligible for enrollment due to age rather than disability. Of the senior citizens enrolled in Medicare in Arkansas, 41% are dealing with multiple chronic conditions that affect their health and 23.2% report being in frequent physical distress.
There are resources available for Arkansas senior citizens who are dealing with health challenges, food insecurity or other issues. Additionally, if you are a senior citizen looking to find social events or programs, there are options available. The state also offers counseling for people who need help with their Medicare plan. The eight area agencies on aging in the state are an excellent place to contact for many different types of resources.
We’ve provided links to those below, along with links to other organizations and programs. We try to keep these state resource pages as up to date as possible. If you find a broken link, please contact us to let us know. This helps us help others. Thank you!
Area Agencies on Aging
- State Map of Agencies on Aging
- Region 1 – Baxter, Benton, Boone, Carroll, Madison, Marion, Newton, Searcy, and Washington Counties
- Region 2 – Cleburne, Fulton, Independence, Izard, Jackson, Sharp, Stone, Van Buren, White, and Woodruff Counties
- Region 3 – Clay, Craighead, Crittenden, Cross, Greene, Lawrence, Lee, Mississippi, Phillips, Poinsett, Randolph, and St. Francis Counties
- Region 4 – Arkansas, Ashley, Bradley, Chicot, Cleveland, Desha, Drew, Grant, Jefferson, and Lincoln Counties
- Region 5 – Faulkner, Lonoke, Monroe, Prairie, Pulaski, and Saline Counties
- Region 6 – Clark, Conway, Garland, Hot Spring, Johnson, Montgomery, Perry, Pike, Pope, and Yell Counties
- Region 7 – Calhoun, Columbia, Dallas, Hempstead, Howard, LaFayette, Little River, Miller, Nevada, Ouachita, Sevier, and Union Counties
- Region 8 – Crawford, Franklin, Logan, Polk, Scott, and Sebastian Counties
- Arkansas Adult Protective Services
- Attorney General’s Office
- Division of Aging and Adult Services
- Governor’s Advisory Council on Aging
- Medicaid Office
State Associations and Non-Profits
- AARP of Arkansas
- Alzheimer’s Arkansas – separate entity from the national association providing services to Arkansas families affected by any kind of dementia
- Alzheimer’s Association – Arkansas Chapter
- Arkansas Geriatric Education Center
- Center on Aging – South Arkansas
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman – established in each state by the Older Americans Act to enhance the quality of life, improve care, protect rights, and promote the dignity of residents in a long-term care facility.